Hotmail is one of the oldest email services offered for free on the web. It has gone through a lot of transitions and now it is updated to Outlook. The user interface is faster and there are plenty of added features offered with this update.
If you want to sign in to Hotmail account, then you should have a Hotmail account first. The following are the steps to create a Hotmail account.
Steps to create Hotmail account
- Open the web browser and visit the outlook.comwebsite.
- On this page, you will find “create a free account” and sign in option.
- Since you are looking to create an account, choose the Create free account option.
- On the next page, you need to key in the email address that you like and choose the option of hotmail.com from the two options offered when you click the down arrow.
- After the email address is keyed in, you will be directed to the password creation page.
- Enter the password in the space provided and then you will be directed to the next page.
- You will be prompted to provide your personal information like name, age, date of birth, location, etc., in the subsequent pages and finally accept the terms and conditions to create a new Hotmail account.
Steps to sign in to Hotmail
Hotmail has moved to the new Outlook. So, do not spend lots of time searching the web for the Hotmail website. You will only find the search to be directed to the Outlook.com page.
- Open the web browser and type hotmail.com. You will instantly be directed to the Microsoft Outlook account creation or sign in page.
- Click on the sign in option and enter your email address that ends with @hotmail.com.
- After you have correctly entered your username, you should choose the Next option in blue color to move on to the next page.
- The next option is to enter the password for the username that you have just keyed in. Make sure that the password you enter is a correct one as it is case sensitive.
- Once the password is entered, click on the sign in option to get instant access to the Hotmail inbox.
- If you are using your personal computer to sign in to Hotmail and do not want to always key in the password to enter, then you can opt for the ‘Keep me signed in’ option seen just below the password option.
- By checking the box, you will not be asked to enter your password again when signing with your email address on your personal computer.
Now, you can check out the unread messages or even compose a new message.
Cannot sign into Hotmail account?
There are a quite a lot of reasons for which you are not able to sign in to the Hotmail account. Some of the common issues that might prevent the sign in are:
- Wrong spelling of the email address is an issue. Make sure you enter the correct email address and also have an eye on the Caps Lock button.
- The password is case-sensitive. Hence, see if the caps lock is turned off or on.
- Even if one letter or number of the email address or password is missed, sign in will not be allowed.
- If your account has been inactive for over 365 days, then there is a chance for the email account to be deleted. It is important to at least sign in to Hotmail account once in every 365 days to keep the account active.
Forgot your password
If you do not remember your password, then it is better that you reset the password to get access to your Hotmail inbox.
- You need to visit this https://account.live.com/pw This is the recover your account page of Microsoft.
- The first thing to do is to enter your email address and type in the characters that are shown on the screen in the space provided for the same.
- Once done, click on next option.
- On the next page, you need to choose a reason from a list of reasons as to why you are not able to sign into your Hotmail account. After choosing the option, click on the Next button.
- On the next verification screen, you should choose to receive a security code either on your mobile phone or the alternate email address.
- If you are choosing the text option, then you should key in the last four digits of your mobile phone number and then choose the Send code option.
- Once you get the security code on your phone or email address, you should enter this code in the space provided and then click on the Next button.
- You will be taken to the ‘create a new password’ page where you should enter the new password you want to use for your email address and then select the Next option.
- This way your new password would get registered. Finally, choose the Next option to get back to the Hotmail sign-in screen.
How to sign out of Hotmail?
If you are using a shared computer to sign in to your Hotmail account, then make sure that you sign out of the account after using it.
- Choose your account picture or icon on the top right-hand corner of the Hotmail inbox screen.
- Click on the image or icon and from the drop-down menu, choose the sign out option and click on it.
This way no one can access your Hotmail account on a shared computer.