Signing up for a new Hotmail account, you have to use Microsoft Outlook. Hotmail was converted to Outlook in 2013. However, the good news is that you can still have an email ID that ends with the domain name hotmail.com.
How to sign up for a new Hotmail account?
By creating a Hotmail account, you can enjoy numerous features and services offered by Microsoft. Follow the simple steps explained below to open a new Hotmail account.
- Open your web browser and type “hotmail.com” in the address bar. This would open up a page addressed as outlook.live.com/owa/.
- On the page, you will have an option – “create a free account”. Click on the option to proceed.
- You will get a window wherein you have a field to enter your New Email address. At this stage, you also get the option to choose the domain name. To the right side of the “New email” field, you can see the domain name as @Outlook.com with a drop-down arrow. Click on the arrow and you get the option to choose @hotmail.com.
- For the username of your email ID, you need to enter a combination of letters, digits, and characters like a dot or underscore. Usernames that already exist will not be accepted. You can also use the username suggestions offered by Outlook if the name you entered is not available.
- Once your username is accepted, you will be asked to enter a strong password. You can use a combination of special characters, numbers, and letters to create a good password.
- Next, you should enter your first name and second name.
- Proceed further by entering your Country and date of birth.
- Next, you will be asked to enter your phone number as a security information. When you enter the number you would receive a verification code as SMS. You should enter the code to proceed further.
- After entering the code correctly, click “Next” to complete your Sign-up process.
How to remain signed into your Hotmail account?
Signing up a new Hotmail Account is easy, but when you want to frequently access your account, you may find it inconvenient to log in every time. There is an easy way out of this issue. You have an option to remain signed in whenever you access Hotmail.com using your default web browser. Listed below are the steps to keep your account signed in.
- Open hotmail.com in your web browser.
- The browser would take you to Outlook.com and there will be an option “Sign in” on the top right corner as well as on the center of the page. Click on either of the options to proceed with your sign up process.
- Next, you will see a window with a blank field for entering your Email ID, phone number or Skype ID. You should enter your email address. Note that, only the username is required and you need not enter the domain hotmail.com. Now click on the option “Next”.
- If you have entered the username accurately you will be getting a new window for entering your password. Below the password field, you have an option that says “Keep me signed in”. If you want the web browser to keep you logged in all the time, you can enable this option. To activate the option, click on the checkbox. Then click on “Sign In” button to proceed. This completes your Sign in process.
Note that, since you have activated the option “Keep me signed in”, your account would remain signed in even if you close your browser and shut down your system. Anyone who uses the same browser can access your account. So before you enable this option make sure that no one can access your account. Your account will remain signed in until you manually sign out of your account. Once signed out, you will have to follow the “login” process again to access your account.
How to create Hotmail signature?
Once you sign up your new hotmail account, you can start using it for sending and receiving mails. While sending mails, you can set up a customized signature. This would appear automatically for all the mails you sent. Follow the steps below to get this done:
- Log into your hotmail account from hotmail.com.
- Once you sign in, you will be able to view your inbox. On the top right corner of your screen, you can find the setting gear. Click on it to open the Settings menu.
- From the menu, choose the option “View Full Settings”.
- You will get a new window that says “Layout”. On the left side of the page, you have a few options listed. From these options, click on the link “Compose and reply”.
- A new window would appear with a text field for composing your signature. You can type out your customized signature in here. If it is an official signature with details like office address and alternate contact details, you can compose it in a word document and copy it to your signature field on this page. However, if it is a short format, you can directly do it in hotmail. You also have several tools to edit your fonts and text layout.
- Once you are done with your signature text, click on the “Save” button on the top right side of the screen. You can close the window and try drafting a mail to check how your customized signature setup is working.